About the book
Are you tired of being controlled by your emotions and your circumstances? Have you realized that feeling happy comes and goes? Do you desire to be more grounded and stable even though you might be living in the midst of chaos?
If you are looking for joy, true joy, I believe I can help you find it. This is a simple four lesson study through Psalm 119. Whether you are someone who has never read the Bible or someone who has been a Christian for years, this study is for you.
FINDING TRUE JOY
“The law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul;
The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart;
The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.”
Psalm 19:7, 8
1) Use Psalm 19:7 to fill in the blanks.
The law of the LORD is ___________________________
The Hebrew word for law in this verse is towrat and it means a code of law as written in the code of the covenant. It is direction, instruction, teaching, and/or law.
The Hebrew word for perfect in this verse is tamim and means complete.
2) According to Psalm 19:7 what does the law of the LORD do?
_________________________ our soul
The Hebrew word for restoring is shub and it means to return, to turn back, convert, refresh
3) What’s wrong with our soul? Why would it need restoring?
The Hebrew word for soul is nephesh and it means a soul, living being, life, self, person, desire, passion, appetite, emotion
4) Look at the second sentence in Psalm 19:7 and fill in the blanks.
The testimony of the LORD is ____________________________________
The Hebrew word for testimony is eduth and it means witness. It comes from the root word uwd that means to call to, to take to record, admonish, to give warning.
5) What does the testimony of the Lord do?
_________________wise the _________________________
6) According to Psalm 19:7 do you have to be old and smart to understand the testimony?
7) Let’s look at Psalm 19:8 now and use it to answer the following questions.
The precepts of the Lord are ____________
8) What do the precepts of the Lord do?
___________ the heart
9) Let’s move on to the second sentence in that verse.
Look at it to fill in the blanks.
The commandment of the LORD is ______________
The Hebrew word for commandment here is mitzvah it is in the singular, so each command is pure in and of itself.
10) What does the commandment of the Lord do?
___________________ the __________________
11) Look up and read Matthew 6:22-23. What do you learn about the eye in this passage?
12) Do you see a connection between Psalm 19:7-8 and Jesus’ words in Matthew 6:22-23?
About the author
Nicole Love Halbrooks Vaughn is married to Patrick Vaughn and they have three beautiful girls together. She is the founder of Proven Path Ministries. She is the Women’s Ministry Director with the North Alabama Fellowship of Christian Athletes.
Nicole is a trained Precept Ministries Bible study leader and has been leading Precept studies since 2004. She is a speaker, a writer, and also serves as the Women’s Ministry Director at Central Baptist in Decatur, AL.
You can learn more about Nicole on her website, www.nicolelhvaughn.com You can follow Nicole at
Click the Treasure Seekers tab for more Bible study samples. Join us for COFFEE with God for daily devotions and keep up with the latest Bible studies available!